Sun Bear Assistant
- Improve conditions of sun bears in captivity and rehabilitation through creating environmental and food enrichment;
- Work alongside keepers to raise the quality of current enrichment standards in Bornean Sun Bear Conservation Centre;
- Learn about sun bears in the stage of rehabilitation and process of releasing them back to the wild;
- Understand and compare situation of captive/rehab sun bears and those with threatened habitats;
- Raise awareness on responsible living and travelling among tourists, local community and students.
Note: Programmes are subject to change depending on community and/or BSBCC calendar.
Duration & Programme Dates
4 weeks: January – December, starts 5th of each month, ends 28 days later
2 weeks: January – December, starts 5th of each month, ends 18 days later
The Bornean Sun Bear Conservation Centre, better known as BSBCC, is based approximately 19km from Sandakan town. It is located next to Sepilok Orangutan Rehabilitation Centre and is also linked to existing forest trails and boardwalks.
The centre currently has 2 bear houses that are housing 28 bears as well as 1.14 hectares of natural forest enclosure where the bears can roam free during the day (and night). There is also an observation platform for visitors to spend time learning about the bears through personal observation and sharing of information by the staff of BSBCC.
Please be aware that programme and days are subject to change – this itinerary is meant as a guide only.
ARRIVAL & WELCOME
- Sandakan Airport (SDK) Please ensure you have provided us with the correct flight details.
- Meet at airport for transfer to twin share accommodation.
- 1800 hours – Welcome dinner and briefing. Please check with receptionist to confirm meeting time.
Day 2 (Meal Allowance)
- In the morning, meet for breakfast and you will go into town for shopping. After lunch, transfer to BSBCC where your programme facilitator will take you on a short orientation. You will be given a thorough health and safety talk, a tour of the centre and then will start work.
Day 3 – 27 (Meal Allowance)
- Working hours at BSBCC: 0800 hours – 1700 hours
- Weekends / Days off: Usually, weekends are given as off days but subject to change according to programme requirement. A total of 6 off days will be allocated throughout the programme which may be combined subject to discussion with your programme facilitator. You may choose to explore other parts of Sandakan at your own expense or stay at the volunteer accommodation
- Check out and transfer to Sandakan Airport.
Optional: independent travel to Kota Kinabalu or Turtle Islands
Be Part of a Meaningful Conservation Adventure